Follow the six easy steps
Please pay particular attention to recording your Car Kms used for Police Business. This is the single most important area of your tax information which drives the size of your potential tax refund.
Don't forget your personal use of your car for:
• Travel for Court Hearings
• Visits to the Police Academy
• Gun/Tactical/Other Specific Training
• Secondments away from usual Station
• Travel for promotions or upgrades
• Car Kms for visiting draft country stations
• Any Other Relevant Car Kms relevant to your Police work
ATO Tax rulings mean you do not need written evidence to show how many kilometres you have travelled, but they may ask you to show how you worked out your business kilometres.
Hint: there is plenty of scope or flexibility in this tax deduction area. The rate approved by the ATO is set at 66 cents per kilometre.
For more detailed information click below:
ATO Set Rate Car Kms Ruling